In the closing days of 1912 Mr. Abraham J. Simon of Les Sages convened a steering group to consider the feasibility of establishing a cottage garden society in the western parishes. Only twelve days later – on Tuesday the 7th January, 1913, the foundation meeting of The West United Agricultural and Horticultural Society was held.
The first President of the Society was the Reverend H. Walter Brock, who like his father and grandfather before him, was highly regarded as Rector of St Pierre du Bois. Mr. T. Mansell Simon was elected first vice-president. The rector was, in practice, a “figure-head” president and it was Mr. Mansell Simon who really led the Society during its early years. Mr. A. J. Robin was elected treasurer and the first secretary was Mr. Henry W. Le Ray.
Five committee members were elected from each parish as follows: St Saviour’s – T. M. Vidamour, M. A. Paint, N. Falla, W. de Gruchy, J. L. Le Page. St Pierre du Bois – A. J. Simon, A. E. Brouard, H. B. Ogier, T Corbin Jnr, E. J. Le Messurier. Torteval – J. H. Mahy, W. J. Sarre, J. Brehaut, Jas A. Langlois, N. R. Robilliard.
On the 24th and 25th September 1913, the first show was held at Les Islets Arsenal. The minutes record that “the show was a huge success from every point of view; on both days we were favoured with real summer weather, which contributed in no small measure in drawing the large attendance and giving financial results beyond our most sanguine expectations. The entries were so numerous, totalling over 800, that the Arsenal was found inadequate. There were 129 entries in the cattle classes.” The success of the first year however, was not to be repeated in 1914. Owing to the outbreak of the Great War, no show was held that year. From 1915 shows were again held at Les Islets Arsenal although in 1917 and 1918 the venue was changed to Les Caches, St Saviour’s.